Instagram

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Suki. Diary of a cat with newly diagnosed hyperthyroidism.

Suki.
Age 14 and two thirds.
Skitty, faithful and a mini diva, yesterday diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.


It's a big responsibility, knowing a pet is totally dependent on you for daily medication for life.
Daily administering of a pill, twice daily.
The first went down on attempt number 3.
The second I went for the gentler approach of hiding in food, but cats aren't stupid, and she ate around it!
I'm going to have to get creative/devious with the tablets.

This is a fortnight where Suki turned my hair grey with worry and putting off the inevitable visit to the vets.
There was the audible breathing, hours spent sleeping under the raspberry canes, cystitis, and finally a lump the size of a broadbean on her neck.
The lump worried me.
Terrified me, with thoughts of cancer.
And then the vet heard a swooshing sound whilst listening to her heart.
The words ''heart murmur'' were mentioned, and she was kept in for tests.
And I had to walk through a packed waiting room minus a cat.

The waiting was awful.
Not getting results over the phone sounded ominous.
But the heart results were clear, kidney disease was clear and hyperthyroidism suddenly didn't seem so bad a diagnosis.

And Suki's home.


2 comments:

  1. I had a cat with diabetes. Dusty was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 9 and I injected with with insulin twice daily for seven years until he passed. The love and thanks he showed me in return paid me back in full, and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and gave you beautiful memories.
    I agree about the love and thanks they show, there's something special about the bond with older cats

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete