Instagram

Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Sidetracked by a 1940s writing bureau. The lost art of letter writing.

Today was supposed to be a grocery day.
I returned with a 1940s writing bureau.
Much more appealing than teabags and carrots, and far too lovely to leave languishing in a charity shop.
It's being delivered on Friday.

So much history in such a small piece of furniture.
The well worn leather on the writing surface, the tiny compartments...the secret drawer.
As a child I was fascinated by my great grandmother's bureau.
So many magic drawers and random treasures...the pitted leather, the inkwell - the stashed mars bars!
And this little bureau brought these memories flooding back.

http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-letters-bureau.htm

Gamsie, my great grandma.
Whatever happened to letter writing?
Do children still write thank you letters at Christmas, or has technology taken over, with those impersonal round-robin emails and e-cards.
I can't remember the last time I had a proper letter drop through my letterbox - or even a postcard.
Bills and junkmail aplenty, but not one, solitary letter.
However, I am just as guilty, having sent just two letters myself in the last few years, one to an older relative in Australia, the other to a not-so-old friend in Israel who has yet to embrace the internet.

I will be storing fabric in my bureau, alongside dusty old diaries, cards and virtual good intentions to rediscover the lost art of letter writing.
Although maybe not with a fountain pen - being a leftie I could effortlessly smudge the ink across the page and up my arm, but rollerballs...I can do rollerballs!




Love my old letters!











2 comments:

  1. Sadly letter writting is a dying social trend. Gone are the days when one's mailbox would contain a letter or two from someone near or perhaps far away. Now all my mail consists of bills and junk mail. Makes one not want to bother to even bring it in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazed you can do rollerballs.
    As an upsidedown leftie the little balls fall out on me!
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete